Sunday, January 6, 2008

Merry Christmas, again!

Since our last post it's cooled down, warmed up, and cooled down a bit again. Should be hot again starting tomorrow and lasting the rest of the week. That's why I decided to enroll the kids in holiday swimming lessons, conveniently happening this week. It's just so lame to sit around the house all day, every day!!

We just (I mean just, as in after I typed that last paragraph), had to evacuate the house. It seems our favorite little mischief-maker, aka Hunter, decided to turn one of the knobs on the gas stove as he was getting a sucker off the counter. I could smell something and went to investigate. The smell was overpowering toward the kitchen, and there were my three most precious possessions in the living room (only separated from the kitchen by a bar), happily eating suckers and cinnamon rolls like they couldn't smell anything. I freaked out, rushed them outside, opened all the windows and called Jessy because I was shaking. We no longer are keeping the knobs on the stove, but I don't know how to keep up with this kid!

Back to our week, Jessy went with the youth to a camp on the Murray River (or the Mighty Murray, as it is known around here. I think it's the only big river in all of Australia...I know it's the water that everyone is fighting over!) Right after he got home, he informed me that we're getting a boat at some unspecified future date. I guess it was THAT fun. And then he sheepishly told me that his wedding ring was at the bottom of the Mighty Murray. Now he is wearing the "spare" I had and it closely resembles Kevin Hutchinson's (it cost $5 and I bought it from a co-worker at American Express who made them as a hobby). I'm still hoping that something like this will happen http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,319986,00.html.

Our church meeting times are now at the pleasant time of 9:00 am, and I am in no way being sarcastic! It sure beats the 1:00 time we had last year! It was actually quiet during the sacrament. Amazing. Unfortunately, the earlier time has had no effect on Hunter wanting to go to nursery.

Collin and Savannah are biding their time during these summer holidays. Collin was very happy to receive a letter in the mail (actually addressed to Mr and Mrs, but since it's about him, he has claimed it), describing his move from occasional care to pre-entry. It's a once-a-week pre-pre-school. Basically, they want to wean the kids from their occasional care teacher, whom they adore. It's getting them ready for 4-day-a-week kindy in April, and at $20 for the term, it's the best bargain of anything we've found in Australia!!! Savannah is starting to wonder about what her new teacher will be like and is planning her first show and tell of the term. She also wants her own blog. She helped me change our color scheme last week and was really wanting this flourescent green/purple color pallet, so I told her maybe she could make her own someday. Well, then she saw that her friend Madison has one, so I'm not hearing the end of it!

And, last but not least, Jessy just told me that we got a bunch of packages so I think I'll add pictures and more info this evening. YEA for packages!!!

5 comments:

Stacy said...

Glad you guys are safe after your mishap. That is so scary. I don't know how you keep up with him either.

Sorry for adding a bit more drama to your lives by starting Madi's blog.

Kev's ring is i Yellowstone at the river there - maybe someone will fish it out too. However, it has been lost for at least 8 years so I doubt it.

Anonymous said...

Wow you guys have so many exciting things to blog about!

My Dad lost his wedding ring digging our huge vege patch when I was 9 - he wasn't sure where it was lost. About a year or two later he was digging it again and turned over a clod of dirt and right in the middle was his ring winking at him in the sun! Maybe Jessy should go fishing on the murray and see what turns up? Other wise have fun shopping for a new one :-)

Hunter sure if a handy little guy! Glad all is well now.

xo Holly

The Whetstone Family said...

Sounds like more fun! Glad everything turned out okay. We always said there was "child-proofing" and then there was "Ben-proofing" and later "Sam-proofing". Completely different ballgame!

Maren said...

Such a cute family. It was fun to have you pop up on our blog. What an awesome adventure you and your family are having there. I know Jenny enjoyed herself a ton while she was staying with you. I've got to admit.....kinda jealous. :)
Also, I just heard a couple of stories at Enrichment about wedding rings at the bottom of bodies of water. I'm sorry Jessy's has been added. There have got to be some seriously lucrative fish swimming around.

C said...

I've got some bad news for you - check out http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23039781-421,00.html Apparently "stretches of the Murray River are turning into the corrosive equivalent of battery acid"...so even if Jessy does pull the ring out of a fish, it may not look like it once did!